Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oh yes I bought a motorcycle


So it all started about 2 months ago when my dad called me to tell me about a motorcycle at a house he is selling. I grew up racing dirt bikes and have wanted to buy a motorcycle for a long time, but I have just never had the extra money to buy one. Anyway, my dad tells me about a 1982 Honda Goldwing, you know the huge motorcycle with the windshield, you see old men going down the intestate on. The people were selling it for $1,500, well I do not really have that money just laying around, but my dad tells me to come check it out anyway. So I go check it out and they tell me that they want 1,500 for it but if I want it they would sell it to me for $1,000. But there was a catch; they had two different people say that they would come by after work to buy the motorcycle for 1,500. Well at the time I did not know a whole lot of information on Goldwings. I definitely had a time restraint; I did not have much time to make a decision. I did know that these bikes go for quite a bit more than $1,000 so I justified in my head that I could buy it and just flip it.

Let’s take a moment and go through my decision making process. First, need recognition, there is no way I can justify a need for a motorcycle but I had wanted one for so long that it became something I needed! Second, information search, I have done lots of research on motorcycles and have rode many different bikes. Third, evaluation of alternatives, I had not given much thought to alternative because at the time of the situation I was not in the market for a bike so my two options were spend the money and get a bike that I did not really want or go home with no bike and keep my money. Fourth, the purchase, well I made the purchase. I bought the motorcycle! Fifth, post-purchase evaluation, this was my number one concern throughout the process. Would I have buyer’s remorse? Nope! I did not, I loved it, I was becoming attached.

I did however decide I was going to sell it because I knew I could sell it for more and it was not the bike I wanted. About a week later I was going through craigslist where I stumbled across an ad where a person wanted to sell or trade his 1972 Honda CB750 Four. He said he wanted $4,000 or trade for a Goldwing. I said, “What the heck, why not!?” I went ahead and sent him an email telling him all about the motorcycle. He gave me a call and we decided to meet up. I was excited; this is the actual motorcycle I have always wanted! So we met up in Nashville Indiana and his motorcycle was in great condition. Well he decided he wanted to trade! So we traded and I got the bike I have always wanted for much cheaper than I would have ever been able to get. I have had it now for about a month, I have cleaned it up, lowered it, put a straight bar on it and a 4 into 1 exhaust. That may mean nothing to you but I love it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment