Monday, October 31, 2011

Impulsive Buying Decisions

A few weeks ago my roommate and her boyfriend decided to make a big purchase and buy an iPad. It was an impulsive buying decision making their decision making process very short. They didn’t exactly have a problem, but they felt that this was an item that they needed and would benefit them. Their second step in the decision making process, search for information, was a very short process considering that it was an impulsive buy they did little to no research on the product, because they had a positive attitude toward the brand and product they were purchasing. So, there was judgment toward their buying decision. They were happy about their purchase and today they love their iPad, so their post-decision evaluation was positive. They also had high MAO. Their motivation was that both my roommate and her boyfriend wanted the iPad and it was a product that was available to them. Also, their opportunity was high because they split the price and had the money to make the buying decision. They both had high felt-involvement for the item as well. Along with this purchase they were able to express the five characteristics of attitudes. My roommate and her boyfriend both had favorability over the product they were purchasing. Their positive attitudes about the product made it easy for them to access the product they wanted and brand from their memories and had a strong hold on their attitudes. This positive attitude lasted at least a day. They went and bought it which isn’t that long but for them their attitude didn’t change so it was persistent and their attitude didn’t ever change so they were resistant. All of these things went through their minds even though it was at a faster pace than most people purchasing this item since it was an impulsive buy. Some people feel guilty or regret their impulsive buys but so far they love their iPad and use it all the time.

1 comment:

  1. A few months ago I almost did the same thing. While sitting around I decided that I wanted an Ipad and thought it would bring a lot of organization to my life. I figured that although the price was high it would be well worth it in the end. Instead of researching though I went out to the Verizon store to buy the Ipad. It wasn’t until the last minute that I decided maybe I should sit and think through the purchase. I am very pleased with the fact that I decided not to buy the Ipad last minute, but am glad that it worked out well for your friends.

    ReplyDelete