Sunday, October 30, 2011

Online Shopping & The World Series

I, like many college students, happen to share a common pastime with soccer moms and rural communities across America: online shopping. With the invention of the internet (thanks, Al Gore), the average college student has access to the purchase of just about any product in a variety of stores from the comfort of our own dorm room or apartment.

Just this weekend, the St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series! Being the avid Cards fan that I am, I recognized a problem and thought to myself, "Hey, I need a World Series champions t-shirt." So off to the internet I went, and quickly found myself browsing my prototypical online sports store, Football Fanatics. Their store is the only one I've found that fits the schema I've set for an online sports store: it has an abundance of products from every one of my favorite teams, items I cannot find anywhere else, fair prices; and a reasonable, flat-rate shipping price.

I began to bypass items from official MLB outfitter Majestic and exclusively searched for items manufactured by my prototype brand for sporting attire - Nike. I have hardcore brand loyalty to Nike and subsidiary brands because of numerous positive past experiences and the brand fulfills any and all social, functional, and symbolic needs I may have from sporting goods.


I was unable to find a Nike product that I felt could satisfy my perceived need for a World Series champions t-shirt, but because of the dynamic nature of needs, a new need arose as I felt I had to purchase some sort of Cardinals shirt mostly in honor of this momentous occasion, but also because I had spent so much time already looking.

I made a low-involvement decision and settled on this super cool long-sleeved t-shirt; just like that, my latest online shopping adventure was over and thirty hard-earned dollars were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment