Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Buying an SLR Camera

A while back I decided to go to Robert’s, a camera store, because I needed a new lens cap for my camera. My parents suggested that I look at the SLR cameras that they had for sale. We began talking with the sales associate who told me about a special deal that they were having this week that lasted for another day or two. He asked me about my camera, and he told me why I might like a new one. I had been thinking about getting a new camera, but hadn’t put too much effort into actively seeking to buy one.

The sales associate made me realize that I had a problem: I wasn’t able to take the best quality pictures that I could take. He talked with me about my actual state and then presented me with the ideal state. He showed me the special features with an SLR, and he displayed a large picture of what I could be taking. I was motivated because it would allow me to take better pictures and get the quality I desired. My goal at that point was to have a nicer camera.

I had one night to make this decision. My parents, who at this time were my reference group, kept presenting me with reasons why I should buy it. I am someone who takes time to make my decisions about expensive products. I considered the pros and cons. The perceived risk was that I would spend too much on something that I didn’t absolutely need and something I might not like. My opportunity was constrained by time. I decided to buy it, and I love my camera!

I learned that sometimes quick decisions can be made in good judgment as long as you still quickly review the pros and cons. I also learned that I have to differentiate between how my reference group feels and how I actually feel because I will be the one using the product. Also, you have to think about the sales associate’s job and make sure you can decipher the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment