Monday, October 31, 2011

The Blender Story

Recently I came upon some unexpected money. I had forgotten about the refund that we got from having student loans, so I found myself sitting upon a nice chunk of change. I'm the kind of person that has trouble holding onto money, so naturally it needed spending.
I took a trip to Walmart to see what kind of things would pop out at me. I stumbled upon a blender which had some really neat features. I had never owned a blender before, but it seemed like the perfect impulse buy. I'd be able to make smoothies, coffee drinks, and even milkshakes! I purchased it, leaving very little of my refund money left (I don't think I got near as much as most people did) and took it back to my dorm room.
The instant I got back to my room I found myself having buyers remorse. I never cook anything, I never eat my own food, I never have food to blend, and most importantly I never drink anything that would require a blender. It was no doubt the worst decision I've ever made when it came to shopping.
I didn't even open the box and took it straight back to walmart. Even though it wasn't open, they would only give me store credit. Within a two hours time, the majority of my loan refund went from being on a little card that I could use anywhere to being on a little card I could use at Walmart. I am now much more careful with my money.

1 comment:

  1. Isaac, I recall the day when you bought that particular blender. You came into the room and showed me, with pride, your magnificent purchase. Confused by your sudden shift in culinary interest, I probed you about the practicality of a blender. After you listed off every piece of fruit or flavor of juice that you wanted to blend, I reminded you that none of the ingredients you named had ever stepped foot in our dorm room and within five minutes, your attitude completely changed. I apologize for being the source of your buzz-kill, but I think we can both agree that the blender would have been a waste of money. It amazes me how quickly a mind can change. Consumers' likes and dislikes are constantly changing and it is up to the marketer to approach them with perfect timing and style.

    ReplyDelete