Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Word Of Mouth...

I was not extremely surprised as we discussed the topic of Word of Mouth (WoM) as having a strong influence on how consumers process information; I have often relied on WoM regarding several purchases I've made. Recently, I found myself surfing the internet on a particular online site looking to make a purchase of headphones. The current headphones had seen better days and it was time to get a new pair. I found a pair that I really liked and immediately found myself navigating to the reviews by people that had previously purchased the pair in question. As I read through the reviews, I could literally feel my hopes go down the drain. Most of the reviews had little to nothing positive to say about the product. I was disappointed as I had had high hopes for the headphones.
It's interesting as I look back on this particular episode and realize just how much WoM, in this case, eWoM had an impact on my purchase decision. I ended up looking for and purchasing another pair of headphones that had positive reviews (WoM).

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Oscar about WOM. It is true how much WOM affects us in our daily lives. From in elementary learning about peer pressure, to now being an adult other people (especially our peers) affect our decision making. It is also kind of scary how much WOM can affect us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and have had the same thing happen to me with certain products. Whenever I want to download a new application for my phone I also check the comments and they are always the biggest determinate. The Sprint store even recommends not downloading anything under a rating of 4 or higher stars, because of the accuracy of the consumer opinion. I know my mother stands by consumer reports in all her purchases, and wouldn’t dare buy something without checking the reports first.

    ReplyDelete