Monday, December 6, 2010

Two Cents Won't Break the Bank

I get emails from about five companies telling me when they are having deals. I feel like they have been non-stop lately because of Christmas coming up. After the first couple, I have started deleting them. But, I got an awesome email from Sephora (the makeup company) last week. Sephora sent me a $15 dollar gift card. They said spend this on whatever you want; now I probably got it because I have spent so much money there in the past, but hey if they are giving me a free $15, I am going to spend it.

So, Saturday night my friends and I went down to the Castleton mall to shop. I had never been there before, but it gets so much hype I was expecting it to be so phenomenal. It did not live up to my expectations, and I think I will just stick to going to Hamilton Square which is much closer and nicer in my opinion.

Anyway, I was very motivated to use my $15 coupon. Once at Sephora I of course had to look at everything, but did not want to spend more than $15 because I didn't want to pay anything out of my own pocket. Luckily this was a small Sephora, inside a JC Penny, so it did not take that long to browse the whole store. I finally selected a product that cost $14 dollars. This was perfect because with tax I knew I would be right at $15. The woman at the checkout completed the transaction and said I owed two cents. Okay, no big deal. I paid the two cents and went on my way, but as I walked away I looked at the receipt and it said $14.98. The woman had made me pay two cents, when really I shouldn't have paid anything. At this point, my motivation was very low to go back and get my two cents, had it been two dollars I maybe would have, but I thought two cents isn't going to break the bank.

2 comments:

  1. That is a pretty good deal. I'm assuming with deals like this they assume you will spend more than $15. It also is funny that the lady messed up your change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share Trent's sentiments that this was a pretty good deal you got. I have often wondered what the main motivation is for companies to send out coupons like these. Usually, when I have received a coupon similar to the one you received, I have often gone out and spent more than the coupon amount. I received a coupon from Vista print during the summer offering me 500 business cards for only $5. I went ahead and used the coupon, and to my chagrin, I ended up spending more than the coupon amount . The coupon worked to get me to the online site. Additionally, I ended up spending on other items than I initially intended. I admire your discipline in spending only the coupon amount...well, plus two cents extra!

    ReplyDelete