Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spending to Save




I gotta be honest, I would be willing to venture that in today's deal-saturated consuming world, I am one of the biggest suckers out there. I am who every company dreams of selling to, as I often find myself chomping at the bit the second a deal comes my way, regardless of if i really need, or want, the item in question. Recently, during an excursion into the black Friday madness, I found myself buying tons of things, primarily clothes, that for which I absolutely had no need. The thing that really got me going, however, were the deals. I found myself thinking, well this is awesome, i just saved 30 bucks on that 115 dollar purchase, when in reality, i just lost 115 dollars to something I didn't need, or even have intention to buy before walking into the store. These little moments of realization are something that I have really enjoyed about this Consumer Behavior class. I have found myself analyzing my purchasing habits more than I ever have before, and it has consistently revealed one thing: I have a hard time saying no to spending money. And it is often due to the fact that I think that I am saving money by spending money. Sounds pretty ridiculous, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment