Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A New GM


For those of you who have seen the new GM commercial, i just have to say it blew me away. I’m one of those weird people who actually enjoy commercials during the breaks of my shows. Since both of my parents (and most of my family) work for State Farm Insurance, i spent most of my time remembering Geico, All State, and Progressive commercials when I was younger just trying to make the talk around the dinner table interesting. I love seeing new commercials and campaigns whether their funny, heartfelt, or creative. However, it has been a long time since i have seen a commercial, especially a car commercial, like the newest one for GM.

For those who haven’t seen it. The commercial is based around different events in American history where people have failed or fallen down. The images of the challenger shuttle, our beloved hero Popeye helplessly sinking in water, Evil Kenevil, the Dewey vs. Truman boxing match, and of course how could we forget...Animal House all falling or in despair somehow. Then the commercial cuts to the people getting up and standing ready to fight again. Evil Kenevil gets up from his crash, Dewey gets up and wins the boxing match, Popeye eats some spinach and becomes strong again, the Animal House guys choose to fight and not give up, and a rocket ship shoots successfully into space. The commercial ends with a black screen first reading the words "We All Fall Down", and then "Thank You For Helping Us Get Back Up"...GM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr94zStsk8E

The commercial is amazing in my opinion and it combats the problem that some Americans had with the GM brand taking a hand out...because that’s not what men...or Americans do. GM confronted this head on and showed throughout our history we have had heroes and events fail, but what makes us great is our ability to rise up and become better and stronger from it. I think this heartfelt commercial will help GMs brand reputation and strength, as well as their sales down the line as many people will see them as a company trying to get back to their greatness they once had before.

1 comment:

  1. This commercial is very warm and heartfelt. I see why GM went with this model. It definitely gives hope for the future, which is what Americans need right now (especially in terms of buying from GM). I think it was interesting, but a good move on their part, by only putting the GM logo in the commercial at the very end.

    Oh, and on a side note, I used to memorize commercials too. There was one for Geico I remember. In the commercial the man makes a collect call to his parents to let them know he had a baby. He uses the name "Bob Wehadababyitsaboy" so that he won't have to pay for the call. The first time I saw that I was probably 9 or 10, but I still remember it today. Commercials can have a pretty strong influence on you.

    Here is the link to the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxhTnWrKYs

    ReplyDelete