Thursday, December 2, 2010

My First Black Friday

I have never gone Black Friday shopping before. I've always been curious to see what it would be like after hearing crazy stories from others. This year, I stayed in Anderson for Thanksgiving so I decided to give Black Friday a shot. I decided I wasn't going to go at midnight but instead would sleep till five and then venture out. I ended going to local stores such as Old Navy, Target, Wal-Mart, Bath & Body, and Shoe Carnival.

I was not really on a mission for anything specific. I just wanted to look at what the stores had for deals and perhaps purchase some Christmas gifts if I found anything. I had no intention of spending hundreds of dollars, I merely wanted to see what it was like and the craziness I had only heard about. Well, needless to say, I think I missed most of the craziness since I went later on in the morning. However, I did see a few things. Besides the long lines, I saw people flock into Shoe Carnival right around nine o’clock when the store held a drawing for a $100 gift card. This had been advertised and obviously paid off because right before nine, the store was packed with people waiting to hear if they were chosen. Second, I was impressed with how much security was in Wal-Mart. Around every corner was a police officer or a man in a suit with an earpiece looking official. That is something I would never expect to see at a Wal-Mart. Lastly, I noticed how many people, including myself, were buying things that were not even on sale. For instance, I bought a pair of boots and a dress that were not on sale. I just happened to find them and purchase them. Black Friday is a good way to get people into the store, but once they are there, many will find things to buy even if they are not on sale.

My conclusion about Black Friday is that it is fun, but if I really want to get in on all the deals, I should probably have gone earlier to get the full Black Friday experience. This would have been especially nice for all of the doorbusters. By the time I got to most the stores, the doorbuster specials were gone. Finally, next year I should probably be more prepared and know what sales are at each store ahead of time.

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of people go to Black Friday with the same preparation as you. The average mom probably has a specific list of everything she needs to buy and where to buy it all, but I would say that most Black Friday shoppers do not go to the stores for specific products or looking for specific deals. Most shoppers go because it is the cultural norm for that day of the year, and they are very open and flexible to any products or deals that stick out to them during the day. If you want to get the best deals and most popular items, however, it is important to come prepared and at an earlier time.

    ReplyDelete