Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why Brick and Mortar Blockbuster's are going the way of the Dodo.

My friends and I decided to go see the social network last weekend. On the way to the movie we had to stop at a traffic light. as I was sitting in passenger I was observing the view from my window. to the right was a gas station. Now this gas station was like any station anyone has seen before, nothing special. as I was observing I noticed two girls standing at what looked like a blue vending machine ( this was a very long light). I turned my head to get a better look and realized that it was a Blockbuster movie rental vending machine. now this caught my curiosity as I had never seen a "Bluebox" and have seen a Redbox posted outside of a Blockbuster kill that store in a few months. But then as I contemplated this machine we started to finally pull away. and as we pulled away I noticed the blue and yellow sign on the building behind the gas station. Not ten feet from this vending unit was a Blockbuster store that was still open.
Now this is what bothered me. You are losing ground from all sides to new technology that has basically made your old way of business obsolete. Why would you start eating at your own sales? as a customer why would I want to go to a store that charges me several times more than what the competition is charging and is less likely to have what I was looking for? I am glad to see that Blockbuster is doing something to keep it self competitive in the market but it may want to rethink it's geographic strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment