Sunday, October 31, 2010

Records

Up until high school I listened to what was on the radio, and in high school is when I started listening to music. The first style of music that really got my blooding pumping was classic rock. Stuff like The Who, Led Zeppelin, and of course the Beatles. With liking bands like that comes an interest in old vinyl. So my friends and I would search thrift stores to see if we could find some sweet old records, and usually we just find Christmas albums. So that made sense because it felt like we were in that time when those bands were popular. Something that I have realized over the past few years is that a lot of newer bands are releasing their albums on vinyls now, in fact some albums are solely on vinyl. This started a huge trend and now you can buy anything from Snoop Dogg, Death Cab for Cutie, and Celine Dion on vinyl. I've noticed that this has been something that distinguished a band "Ah they have vinyl," and now it has become a thing where if a band doesn't they lose 10 cool points. Depending on the band I fall into this trend, thinking that the vinyl is so much better. I think that it interesting how far we have come and yet we still like big discs because they are cool.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this. I bought ACDCs new album when it came out and I went to see them at Conseco. And they had the option to get it on vinyl. But that kinda seems normal for them. But when Haste The Day came out with their new one this year I had to get it with the vinyl. It's just so much cooler. Retro stuff automatically gets you 10 cool points.

    ReplyDelete