Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Lonely Drums

A few years ago, my friend and I had the brilliant idea to try and start a band. I decided that I wanted to play drums so I went to a little music shop in my town to look for a set. The owner found me a used one that was reasonably priced and in fairly good condition. I made several payments on it and was finally able to bring it home. I had this image of myself rockin’ out on stage and touring around the country with some of my favorite bands, but I forgot that in order to do so I actually needed to know how to play. I thought about finding someone to teach me, but I finally decided to just try and teach myself. For a few weeks, I would sit in my basement and listen to music and try to play along. After a while, I got burnt out and then just stopped trying.

My drum set is still chillin’ in my basement. The only time it ever gets played is when my younger cousins come up from Georgia and play around with it when they think I’m not listening. I don’t necessarily regret buying the drum set. At the time, I was very sure that it was what I wanted and I had the motivation, ability, and opportunity to buy it. However, I do regret the fact that it’s just sitting there. I think it would be better for me to just sell it or give it to someone who could actually make use out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment