Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm Out of Toothpaste!


For my entire childhood I never realized what brand or special type of toothpaste I had used. Whatever tube of toothpaste that was lying on the bathroom counter when I went in to brush my teeth was the tube I would use. It wasn't until college that I realized that I had to buy my own toothpaste.
Last week I ran out of toothpaste and went to walmart to pick out a new tube. Because of the low amount of MAO, I processed my decision through the peripheral route. My evoked set of toothpaste brands consisted of Crest and Aquafresh. I also had one brand in my inept set, Colgate. I never enjoyed the taste of Colgate, so I already counted it out of my options. The decision-making model I used for this toothpaste decision was a noncompensatory model because negative information I previously had about two of the three brands led to my rejection of them from consideration. The reason I omitted Colgate from my consideration was because of the nasty taste. The reason I rejected Aquafresh from consideration was because I was less familiar with the brand than I was with Crest, and Crest offered more flavor options than Aquafresh.
My autobiographical memory also came into play when making my decision because I recognized that the past year or two I had been using strictly Crest toothpaste. No external search was necessary for this decision. The only thing I had to choose between now was which flavor of Crest toothpaste I should buy. The options were tartar control, cavity protection, teeth whitening, or citrus splash with Scope. I wasn't very opinionated at all about which flavor I wanted, so I just chose which box looked the most appealing. The orange box for the citrus splash flavor looked very refreshing and delicious, so I went with it, and I'm very pleased with my decision.

1 comment:

  1. I myself am a Crest man! I think the main reason for this is because I grew up with it. I wouldn't go as far to say its an acquired taste but thats what I am used to, and feel comfortable buying because I have had positive experiences with the brand. I have ventured off to try other brands and that was a BAD mistake! Some of the toothpaste out there is ridiculous! So ya, I stick with original Crest mostly because I have always used it and I don't really think about any other brands. Why change? Seems to be getting the job done, no one is running away because my breath smells haha

    ReplyDelete