Sunday, October 31, 2010

Grocery Shopping

As I have mentioned before, I am the kind of person who will pay more for quality. Things that are overbuilt and perform very well are my idea of good purchases, even if they cost more up front, I figure they will save me money over time. However, this philosophy does not apply to grocery shopping. Part of this phenomenon is best explained by the fact that groceries are generally low evolvement purchases. Not much if any information search goes into what brand of peanut butter one is going to buy, mainly because a jar of peanut butter does not cost all that much. I figure food is consumed, so if I buy a name brand vs. store brand, there is really no benefit unless I think the name brand tastes significantly better. Cost is what drives my purchases in the grocery store. I buy Kroger value paper towels and sugar. I once bought Kroger value cheese but that was not that great so I continued to buy the regular Kroger brand. Chances are, if there is a Kroger brand of a product I am looking to purchase in the store that is the one I will buy unless by some very rare circumstance I happen to notice a sale on a name brand product that makes it priced lower than the Kroger brand. I tend to buy mostly name brand cereal, having tried the Kroger brand and not liking it as well, but on most other things, cost is the biggest factor in the grocery store. In case you haven’t figured it out by now, I am a loyal Kroger/Payless shopper. Mainly because I hate Walmart, though not for the moral/ethical reasons some people give for hating Walmart (but that’s another post).

No comments:

Post a Comment