Saturday, October 30, 2010

Band Merch


Whether it's cds, t-shirts, hoodies or any number of other things, I can't seem to stop buying band merch. Since the end of middle school into high school and now in college, I have gotten more and more involved in the music scene. At first it was just going to a show occasionally. Then I started to get to know people in bands and friends started bands so i started going to more and more shows. This wouldn't be a big problem if I didn't have to buy something at pretty much every show I go to. Even if it's just a sticker, it seems I can't get away empty handed.

Now even family has joined this enabling. My brother has recently joined the band Rose Maylie. So know I have even more excuse to buy band merch. A large portion of my wardrobe consists of shirts and hoodies adornded with the names and designs of some band. Actually as I write this I realized I'm wearing two different bands' merch, a shirt and a hoodie. And with online shopping it also makes it easier to obtain even more items. You can pre-order new albums, buy different packs of merch or just get something you think looks cool. I guess I just find it interesting to advertise who I listen to and find designs that I like. Whatever it is I don't see it stopping soon, with further involvement into the music world I think my obsession will only get worse.

2 comments:

  1. I usually have this same problem when it comes to buying band merch. Every time I go to a show, I feel the need to get something of theirs, even if I've seen the band a million times. It's even more difficult for me to pass up buying merch if I see that a band has a super cool new shirt or something that I don't have. I like my music and I'm all about supporting bands I like. So, I know what you mean when you say you like to advertise what bands you listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely experienced this before. A few years ago, I went to the Alive festival in Canton, OH. I feel like I almost spent as much time in the merch tent as I did going to the different stages and listening to the bands.I was surrounded by so many things that I wanted, and left with probably a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise. Also, in high school I went to so many shows and bought at least one shirt at each one, so I basically had enough to wear a band shirt every day of my senior year.

    ReplyDelete