Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ah, Now I See the Light


It all started over fall break when my family and I were going to visit my sister at Ball State. We climbed in the family van and were ready to go but it would not start. It only made a humming noise which I guessed was a bad starter motor. I was right but that’s not the point. we still needed to get to Ball State so I just told my dad we could take my car. I let my dad drive. On our way back it was getting dark out and so my headlights came on. My dad commented on how dim they were, and that it was kind of hard to see. It was at this moment I realized I had a problem. My Ideal state was to have good headlights that made it easy to see the road at night. However, I had just grown used to my headlights being as dim as they were. When my dad commented on how dim my headlights were though, I realized that my current state did not match up with my ideal state. Since headlights are generally fairly low involvement, I went to Auto Zone a few days later and looked at the options they had. Since I wanted headlights with more than a just noticeable difference I started looking at the brightest lights available. It turned out that these lights were more than I wanted to pay so I looked at the second brightest light and compared those to the rest. It turned out that the lights I was considering were supposed to be about 30% brighter than the regular ones and only 5% less bright than the brightest ones. They were also about 10 dollars cheaper than the brightest lights so to me, they seemed like the best value for my money. After installing the Silverstar headlights (made by Sylvania) in my 1999 Pontiac Bonneville, and driving it at night I noticed a huge difference in how well I could see the road. I am very pleased with my purchase and I think I would buy these lights again if they are available the next time I need headlights, which hopefully won’t be for a fairly long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment