Thursday, September 30, 2010

Will I Ever Say Enough is Enough?

This past weekend I found myself in the same predicament that I always get myself into whenever I go to any kind of mall or department store that sells shoes and that is I need another pair of shoes. Over the last 3-4 years of my life I have developed what one would say a addiction to buying all kinds of shoes, especially sneakers. It all started when a friend of mine worked at a shoe store over the summer and I would get like 60% off on shoes and so every time that I went to that store I always bought a pair of shoes, and sometimes 3 pairs at a time. That summer I bought at least 10 pairs of shoes thus beginning my addiction to buying shoes.

Back to this past weekend I was with a group of friends and we went to Carmel to eat at Bubs, which is a burger restaurant, it has the Big Ugly a 1.5 pound burger and if you eat it you will get your picture on the wall. Well we went and there was an hour and twenty minute wait so we walked to the skateboard shop Rise and that was a big mistake. I go there knowing that I cannot afford to buy any shoes but there prices are so cheap and their shoes are so cool. So right before we get there I say I do not need any shoes so I am not going to buy anything. We walk into Rise and all of a sudden I am just taken over by the smell of new shoes and the desire to buy shoes. I find a pair of shoes that I really like and they are relatively cheap like $45 so I justify that in my head and so I start asking a worker about the shoes and he informs me that next weekend is buy 2 pairs of shoes get 1 free. My heart about stopped when I heard that so I put the shoes down and walk out of the store happy that I did not buy any shoes but kind of sad knowing that I will be back there next weekend and probably will buy at least 2 pairs of shoes.

Tomorrow we are planning on going to the skate shop just to buy shoes and I know that I should not go because I can’t afford right now to buy shoes but I still want to go. So I am not planning on buying any sneakers tomorrow but when I get around shoes the need and desire to buy shoes takes over and I just cannot say no, but I am hoping that I can learn how to say no.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...we will all be looking on Monday at your feet. Will we see a new pair of kix? The suspense is killing me. I wish you the very best of luck - though I must admit that my confidence in your ability to abstain is yet low!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely share this problem. But, I was impressed when you came back from the buy 2 get 1 free sale without any new shoes. Although I was also kind of sad for you because you didn't get to show off any new purchases. I think it would be safe to say that the need for new shoes is definitely not there but the desire is. And if you've got the desire why not satisfy it? I mean it's wintertime again, and I'm starting to have the desire for some new Uggs. No matter how uggggly people say Uggs are my collection keeps building. Maybe we can go through a shoe buyers anonymous course!

    ReplyDelete